This is a customer review from the Lane party who went on a New England holiday at the end of September 2016.
Dear Charlotte & Alistair
The following is our resume of the New England in the Fall holiday.
First we had a wonderful time, lovely food, people have time, good manners & the weather did it’s very best to be great 95% of the time. Driving easy & scenery wonderful.
1) Boston. Plaza hotel, unfortunately we were initially put into a small room, the second night we were moved from floor 8 to 14. The excuse was they had been renovating ~ for breakfast go to the “Paramount” over Boston common, were JFK ate. Dinner very nice (at the back of Plaza), Italian Maggianos little Italy well worth booking.
Car pick up handy to the rear of Plaza, good walk about in Boston on the historic trail route.
2) Kennebunk. Lovely motel, beautifully appointed in all aspects. Eat at the Acedeme restaurant at the Kennebunk Inn Kennebunk town, wonderful pot lobster pie, great service, great beer!
3) Bar Harbour, Wonderview Inn. On the tired side. Took trip on the 4 mast’d schooner in the bay, good value & work out.
4) Jefferson Inn. Run by Gwen lovely & homely, nice area for scenic drives, locally good shopping in small towns. Best restaurant JL Sullivan’s Irish pub theme, amazing value for money wonderful deep fried scallops!
5) Stowe Mountain Lodge. Upgraded to very nice suite, only due to being early & waited a while ~ Use the chair lift to top of ski run, wonderful views. Hotel restaurant poor, due to captive audience! Shame. See concierge to book Italian restaurant not far down road 5 miles, wonderful food & service, family run, worth booking for dinner Trattoria la Festa.
6) The Lodge at Bromley. Eat dinner in Peru at JJ Hapggod General Store. This incorporates “the restaurant”. Best local produce charcuterie we have eaten, great value for money wonderful local beer! Beautifully cooked food. We learned afterword’s Paul McCartney eats there has friends nearby! The scenery at sun rise over the woods & ski runs was amazing. The drive to Newport was lovely.
7) Newport Beach Hotel. Again upgraded due to early arrival (30 mins only) very nice suite with everything including washer & dryer, needed, this was the only RAIN we had. Unfortunately it was there Newport Marathon, oops! Ate in “TICKETS” BAR & GRILL, THIS HAS TO BE THE BEST VALUE BEST FOOD IN THE TOTAL TRIP.
8) Chatham Bars Inn. For me & Jan, this was the most wonderful hotel within its own grounds & aspects we have stayed in. Hotel employees look after guest in beautiful surroundings, both in side & outside. Outstanding service & a memorable experience.
Drive to airport pleasant trip, checked car in no problems. Flights AOK, many thanks. Sorry about the constructive criticism, but better you know than not, happy to talk on phone if you wish. Am sending you USB thumb/stick, with our photos (sorry I know old fashioned) you can return them when you send the R66 stuff next year.